Saturday, August 18, 2012

The River

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 2:08am ·








I can't stop thinking about the rising water of the Mississippe River at Cairo, IL. The engineers will breach the levee within a few days if water gets much higher. There's mandatory evacuation of the spillway now. Our farm isn't far from the levee and is in the spillway on the Missouri side. I just can't conceive of the farm that's been there my whole life possibly being underwater. It holds memories of a lifetime from blackberries and chickens to the hayloft and chiggers. The barn was taken down, the house burned, grandparents, aunts and uncles deceased. It's just my sister and the cousins and the land now. I guess I will say a few prayers this weekend, especially for Cousin Joe who now farms the land for us.
    • That's amazing. Out farm is in the spillway not far from Cairo. My cousin farms the land--soybeans, Milo, sometimes corn or wheat. It's very fertile land. I don't know what the flooding will bring for the future of our far...See More

    • ‎60.4 ft. So it's almost at 60.5 which i think is when they blow the hole. I read it takes 20 hours for the whole process of breaching the levee. Sad day for the family farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment