Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Help

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 4:05pm

My one luxury, seriously, would be help with the lawn.  Now my help comes to the front door though my 1930s home does have a doorbell at the backdoor for the help and a toilet in the basement with a separate stairwell entrance. Only until recently, my help called me Ms. Rozanne, and finally it hit me they don't need to do that anymore.  I know I could rake the leaves and clean up the entire yard; but with a little help, it makes spring and fall so much more manageable.

For instance, today, I couldn't have gotten along without them.   Last Friday I managed to move with my car a large boulder from the side of the driveway to a foot or two to in front of the mailbox!  It's part of the rock garden previous owners from the 40s or 50s had created.  My help put the rock out of the way, almost back to its original position.  There were a couple of hanging dead branches from the tree that my help could pull down with a quick jump.  

I must say, having grown up as the granddaughter of farmers, I feel ashamed having help in the yard, especially when my grandmother had a garden the size of my lot, plus several plum trees, grape and blackberry vines, and persimmons and pecans in the woods. My daddy did his own yard work, a garden of tomatoes, roses and sunflowers till the summer before his death at nearly 90.  

That doesn't mean there isn't still plenty for me to do after my help leave.  For instance, when do you fertilize the grass and trees?  I still don't remember even having had many generations of farmers in the family, from Iowa to Oklahoma and most states in between.  I do know when to prune things or when not to prune.  I have found though that eleagnus shrubs can be pruned 24/7, and they will still grow back the next day.  They are good for the tiny white flowers that smell delicious, and the birds loves the berries, otherwise, they are like kudzu.   As for gardenias, I have learned never to plant them in front of a window as they like to grow as tall and wide as they can.  Sometimes, I hear them scream when I cut back their branches, "I'll show you, there will be no more flowers this summer or next spring!"   Now why I planted a dozen red-tipped photinia shrubs on the side of the house, I'll never know.  You have to be careful pruning them and only at certain times or they will get black spot.  Also they like the reign of the place to grow as tall as possible.  Oh I remember why I planted them.  The previous neighbors took down my chain link fence.  So instead of another fence I planted shrubbery.   

Lest you think I am a gardener with a green thumb, I only do well with some house plants and shrubbery; but as for tomatoes and things you might eat, I have given up.  I seriously don't even attempt to plant edible plants as I've had such bad luck.  I know Cousin Joe is disappointed I'm not carrying on the family tradition of a garden. For sure, we are glad he is farming the Missouri farm instead of me or we'd be raising eleagnus and privet that grows wild.  

So now you know why I have help with the yard.  However, if there are any single men out there that love gardening, I might consider it a match made in heaven, sight unseen.  I do have a confession though.  It's not that I can't grow a garden, as I have been know to grow roses the size of peonies, but they were so much work, like having children to raise.  I grew colias waist high in Macon to where they literally made shrubs by the walkway.  However, I have this mental block against growing edible plants, like there is something magic about growing food that I could never learn to do.  Maybe I need to ask my help to grow me a garden and let me rake the leaves.  

I will continue more on "My Help" later.  I do need a good housekeeper if anyone would like to apply.   I can think of a few teachers who are awesome at organizing things that I would love to apply for the job or my niece.  In the meantime, Messy Bessy will just have to take care of the inside.  However, I would like to do my part for unemployment and hire more help.  The alternative is always there:  downsize to a very small condo or move to assisted living.  Things to contemplate these days, but just not yet!
Christmas Cactus
Another kitchen window over my sink where I root more plants, Aug, 2009
One of my kitchen windows over my sink where I root plants, Aug, 2009
Help yourself.
  • The Christmas cacti plants died in August 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment