Saturday, August 18, 2012

Substituting for 2012-2013

Sunday, July 29, 2012 at 9:37pm 

Way to go Atlanta Public Schools . . . let's see now. I don't have enough earnings as a substitute for 2011-2012 school year for your requirement of $5000 for a 50 day minimum of $100 a day. Actually I'd have a little more earnings had you not docked my pay when I was late or couldn't sign in on time because the clock wouldn't take my i.d.  Also I was never paid for the extended day? I often had carpool or bus duty when I wasn't even supposed to be there. I guess I'll have to count up the days I worked and add another 30 minutes to each day I worked. If you had paid me for the extended day, I would have had more for your requirement. If you hadn't lowered the pay for certified teachers by $75 a day, I would have had even more.

I hope this works for you APS as I know many a time I got last minute calls from staff, including principals, desperately trying to find a qualified substitute teacher or any sub at all. Sometimes I'd get a dozen calls in one morning. This will be one less teacher on your roster. Btw, do I still have to pay my school taxes which are more than I earned substituting, especially now that I can't work for APS. School starts next week for teachers; you gave me one days notice. That's right, I just opened Saturday's mail. I can think of at least a half dozen retired teachers, some of the best, who would be substituting except for your rules. That's just from one school. It seems like you have other worries besides making substitutes work 50 days a school year, like having classes with no substitute at all.

Exactly. I know so many retired teachers that are in this same position. That's right. It's unbelievable. I can teach the Spanish, the music, as well as I'm certified in primary and middle grades. My schedule last year wasn't as compatible with substituting all the time, but I did get at least 43 days instead of 50. This is the address of the oped editor at AJC. tsabulis@ajc.com. I sent him a copy of this post. We should all write him about this. I am so sorry you can't sub for her as you would be perfect having just taught with her last school year. So so sad for the kids. Remember, this was at one of the best schools. Can you imagine schools where no one wants to go?
    • That's terrible. You've taught there so many years. How much they will miss you. July 29 at 10:33pm
    • Maybe I'll practice and come play for your kids sometime.July 29 at 10:45pm·
    •  it is such a loss for the kids that Aps is so inflexible with subs. We are a dayplayer, after all. July 30 at 1:50am
    • This situation needs to be rectified as I don't think APS is in a place to end up putting classes together or putting a para in the classroom because they can't get a sub, much less a certified teacher familiar with the curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment