Saturday, August 18, 2012

Miss America

Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 10:39pm ·

It's amazing Miss America is still around after all these years with a few changes such as bikinis, now in Las Vegas and in January instead of September. In college when we first got back to our dorm in September, you'd hear the tv in the living room with the Miss America pageant on and lots of young girls and their dates watching it or you'd be there watching it too. Back then no one had a tv in their rooms so we all watched the same tv programs from Miss America to the assasination of.President John Kennedy.

I.once met a Miss America though I didn't know that at the time. She was a neighbor and brought me some homemade jam. We chatted a bit, and I remember asking her what she did with her time. She replied that she had four children, and they kept her busy. I had a five year old and a new baby so I guess I was having one of those days where I was seriously wondering if I'd have a life beyond diapers. I wish she'd told me about her background as a pianist, but maybe those were years she had put it aside as I too was doing. Neither did she mention her past as Miss America of 1953. She was just another mom raising her kids in Macon, Georgia bringing a new neighbor jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment