Saturday, August 18, 2012

My New Favorite Breakfast: Homemade Granola

Thursday, June 2, 2011 at 7:55am ·

Notice your Grandmother and Great Grandmother would have known these ingredients:

100% whole grain oats
Untoasted wheat germ
Honey
Cinnamon, vanilla
Brown sugar or sweetner
Baking spray or a little oil
A pinch of salt
Raisins, nuts (optional)

I make it a cup at a time for one person with a cup of oats and couple of T. of wheat germ. It is tastier with brown sugar, but I also may use sweetner instead. I just use enough honey and spray (or oil) to bind it somewhat. I add cinnamon, vanilla, salt to taste. Probably it would be crispier in the oven, but I use my toaster oven like I were making toast. So far I haven't added raisins or nuts because I'm out of them, and this is a NEW favorite this week. It's cheap to make if you have a huge box of oats and large jar of honey, compared to the price of premixed granola. The best part there are no miscellaneous ingredients I've never heard of. If I had more than one to cook for, I might make it 7 cups of oats at a time and bake in 350* oven till crispy . It is fabulous sprinkled in 1/2 cup yogurt with a cup of hot coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment