Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Emory Sleep Center

What a coincidence that I had some testing done for sleep apnea in the Emory Sleep Center, an outpatient center on the campus of Wesley Woods Hospital in Atlanta, the same month that a 25 year old man died during the testing. I was there January 2, and he was there January 23rd. He died of cardiorespiratory arrest (or his heart stopped suddenly and without warning). He had other predisposing conditions--overweight, diabetic, and high blood pressure. His family questioned whether he died of neglect from the Emory Sleep Center staff.

I read the news article with interest and anxiety, wondering if they were, indeed, talking about the same sleep center I visited on two occasions for the testing and treatment of sleep apnea. I was very impressed with the staff of technicians both times. I thought at the time I'd never seen such professionalism and kindness. I had a very cozy and clean room to myself, not unlike a very nice hotel room with a most comfortable bed, bathroom, shower, desk and chair. The technician went to great lengths to make certain I was comfortable, plenty of bottled water at bedtime and orange juice and coffee for breakfast. Each time the technician was very gentle as she prepared me for the testing with all the various wires on my head and body. The second time I was there to sleep with the CPAP machine and mask. The technician was quite patient with me as I took such a long time to decide which mask was more comfortable.

The next morning they brought in paper work for me to fill out while I finished my juice and coffee and to reflect on the night's sleep. I know each different time I was there the technicians were on call for any time I needed them. The first evening a technician came in to adjust my various wires as I had pulled one of them out. Each of them came in at least once to help me get to the bathroom. I had trouble deciding which one I liked best. When I had a different technician the second trip, I was disappointed as I had been so pleased with the first technician. It didn't take long till I adored the second technician. I'd tell her how I didn't know how they could test me as last time I didn't sleep at all. She laughed and told me that's what everybody says, but you did sleep. It's all on record and that I just think I'm not sleeping because I only remember the times I was awake.

We all left together that next morning early January 3. It was an empty parking lot as the other patient had already left. So the three of us said goodbye like we were old friends in a freezing parking lot at 7:00 in the morning of the new year, 2010. Fortunately, as I read the news article about the young man dying, I realized his other conditions must have had more to do with his death than the quality of his care at the Emory Sleep Center. I'm sure more will be revealed if the family proceeds with a lawsuit. I would have the test all over again if it meant finding out that I have serious sleep apnea and what to do about it. With comments from the Mother such as "You don't go to a sleep study to die" may discourage people like me from seeking treatment for sleep apnea; and then they may die anyway from complications of sleep apnea such as a stroke and heart failure.

For further reference, the latest update I found was a post by WSBTV on February 15, 2010. The link: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/22568551/detail.html?taf=atl.

No comments:

Post a Comment