Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sleep Apnea

I cannot go to sleep tonight. It is 2:00 in the night, and I'm not working the graveyard shift. No, I haven't worked at all this week so my only reasons for being awake are too much coffee and tea, sleeping late, worried about seeing the doctor tomorrow.

I see the pulmonary doctor who specializes in sleep disorders. I already know from the sleep lab that I have serious sleep apnea, but I don't know what serious means. Then on Thursday I will be fitted for the CPAP, a device used to help you get more air at night so you breathe better. It's not so much seeing the doctor that is keeping me awake, but why it took the doctors so long to find out why I'm so tired all the time. I don't suppose that's a good attitude as no one really knows how long I've had sleep apnea. Besides I should just be grateful that now I may get some help.

I will write more about this tomorrow after I've seen the doctor. There's no point in me thinking some imaginary story that I stop breathing 30 times an hour during the night. I don't need to be thinking maybe there's nothing wrong, and they just want to sell me equipment. The sleep lab was $2600, and Medicare paid for it so the doctors had to come up with some sort of diagnosis. I'm not at all unique. I'm sure most people experience random thoughts like this before seeing the doctor about treatment for a health condition. For now I'm going to put those thoughts to rest so I can get some rest before my 10:00 appointment tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment