Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Peace in Fifth Grade

Today we were studying about the United Nations. I was planning for them to write poems about peace as one of the activities. While I was waiting for them to come to class, I was thinking about what peace meant to me. I realized as I wrote I wasn't sure I knew. Hopefully, the fifth graders would find it easier to put in words than I did.

"Peace"

Is it a feeling or a gesture
or an idea in our mind’s eye?
I know what it is and when it’s there.
I know the absence of peace
and the struggle of opposing factions.
Describe it, not so easy.
Quiet, maybe or maybe not.
Calmness, sometimes.
A smile, a grimace, a tear!
It could be all three.
Is there a word to describe it
better than the word “peace”?
There are synonyms galore for peace.
We all know the Thesaurus:
calm, stillness, quiet, tranquility,
silence, harmony, serenity,
peace treaty, law and order,
freedom from conflict, refrain from violence.
We can all look up the word,
but do we know the word?
It may be as simple
as my dog laying in my lap
while I rub his head and occasionally
he will coo like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment