Friday, April 10, 2009

The Supper Club

These poems are from the cookbook The Supper Club I typed up for David when he was busy in plays in high school his senior year. Most of it I wrote while on this boring temporary job as a receptionist where I barely answered the phone or did much at all except write to stay awake.

Each section had a different poem. I think I called it The Supper Club because when we lived in Macon several couple friends of ours had a supper club. We got together once a month and met at different couples' houses. The host served the entre and the rest of us brought a salad, side dish or dessert. We all had small children so it was much cheaper to get a babysitter for the evening, then go to a friends house for dinner. There weren't that many restaurants in Macon, and they would have been more than our budget. This way we had a great deal of fun and spent less money. Sometimes, we'd all bring our kids, and that was fun too. Once we even took a trip to the mountains and rented a challet for all of us for the weekend.

That was a time in my life when we were all learning to cook and entertain, and we exchanged recipes a lot. Some of the recipes are from that era, but many more were passed on to me by my mother, grandmother, sister or friends over the years. This was before the Internet so you had to clip recipes from the newspaper or magazine, get recipes from friends or buy a cookbook.

Poems in The Supper Club Include:

"Something on Marriage"
"Apricot Pits and Bitter Almonds"
"Home Garden"
"Home Sweet Home"
"Woman Shopper"
"Paper Dolls and Plastic Beads"
"Afternoon Practice"
"Dawn"

From my cookbook, The Supper Club,© 1985, Rozanne.

2 comments:

  1. wow that is amazing!! You're an awesome writer! Do you mind if I post your poems on my blogs (crediting you of course) so my friends can read them too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you may. I'm flattered you even like them. By the way, David suggested I post each poem separately. That might be a good thing for both of us to do. I do sort of like it better. Can you believe, David wanted a few recipes so I not only wrote him a recipe book but a poem to go with each section and notes with each recipe on how I came upon the recipe--friends, family, newpaper on so on. RS

    ReplyDelete