Monday, April 13, 2009

Home Sweet Home

"Home is best" I embroidered
on a tea towel when I was sixteen,
a young woman at the stove
and a cat nearby, a teenage girl's
dream of happiness in cross stitch.
With every stitch I dreamed
of the man I would marry,
the children I would raise,
the home I would have.
In those days a girl had a hope chest.
So I made tea towels and pillow cases
and samplers. All the women
of my family embroidered.
"Life had not reward nobler than friendship."
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."
"Thank you for the world so sweet,
thank you for the food we eat."
"Home is best," stained spotted towel.
It's twenty years later and
I'm divorced. I'm a temporary typist.


From my cookbook, The Supper Club,© 1985, Rozanne.

This is the one for breads:

No comments:

Post a Comment