Monday, April 13, 2009

Dia de los Muertos

For Michelle, my sheltie

The dead always leave something behind.
My mother left her fingernail in her bed.
My dad left unpaid traffic tickets in his car
My mother-in-law left an angel paperweight
In her otherwise empty house.
My father-in-law left a black butterfly
Who on occasion lingers at my backporch.
My dad left more, the West Texas sunset,
A sun that filled the entire sky as he departed
And every now and then returns,
And my mother-in-law left me Michelle,
Now my Michelle, the sheltie
Who died today as I was bathing her
And she left some of her hair in the drain.
I found it there as I cleaned the tub
For a warm bath to relax and forget this day.
Her spot is empty where she slept
At the foot of my bed near the dresser
But her shrill bark pierces the silence
Of our All Saint’s Day vigil, disturbing me
And my two other dogs who sniff blankets
And bark at imaginary sounds
Now that Michelle is gone.
Mother, where are you when I need you?
Would you send me your prayers.

Rozanne
11/01/07

No comments:

Post a Comment