Sunday, November 6, 2011

Silence: Too Long I've Been Silent

It's like Silent Spring we all had to read in my 2nd year English back in the early 60s in college. It had just come out so was quite the book at the time. My silence isn't about the birds that are quiet; it's that we've all been quiet way too long about many things happening in this country. For me I noticed my silence a few minutes ago when I couldn't remember my password to my blog. Once I remembered it, the password wasn't accepted so I had to change it. This would be a clue like when Rachel Carson noticed the robins weren't singing any more.

Any way, I'm back from my hiatus. I'll start with a part of a poem I had printed on some recycled paper and found the other day. It could already be here under poems, but I don't recall. I'll look later.

We all know the meaning
you come to a corner
and you go straight or
you turn left or right
but rarely, unless there is
a barricade, man-made or natural,
would you ever turn back.
But in a life these turning points
are sometimes a zigzag or a curve
and even a deadend with no choice
but to backup and start over.

It may be a book you read. . . .
(Now I'll have to look to see if I finished this somewhere or stopped in the middle).

Later: Just found it on my blog. "Turning Point" from Feb, 2010. 1st and 2nd drafts. Guess this would qualify as 3rd draft. Gee, I think I like the unfinished phrase, "it may be a book you read.'

No comments:

Post a Comment