Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kids in Film

Thursday, March 11, 2010

It always amazes me that some of the largest films will try to cut costs when it comes to kids' education when out of school to work on a film. They can afford the stars but not the teacher. The animals always have a welfare worker on the set, whether it's a dog, a horse, chickens, birds or pigs. But there will be no one there for the welfare of kids.

Glad to have all the films in Georgia but when do kids--babies, teenagers, 5th graders, extras, principals get the same care as the dog. One lawsuit or accident would more than pay for the child's teacher on a set.

I have seen with my own eyes children working 14 hours a day. I have seen children get minimal schooling if any. Kudos to the producers who care about the kids. To the child labor department who has not set foot on a set on behalf of children in 25 years, I ask are horses worth more than kids? To Sag, why isn't there anyone required to be there any time any child (extra, principal, baby, teenager) sets foot on a set. There are kids working as extras who go from film to film and often working long hours with less than basic education. Even principals have lagged behind in their education and are often on a film set much longer than 9 1/2 hours.

Surely our kids are worth the salary of one teacher. I personally drive a 1991 Acura, and I have yet to meet a teacher who is living in Hollywood style mansions. Writer friends and you know who you are, teacher friends, film friends, parents of kids, students I have loved and taught, Mothers of these students who know I speak the truth, please put a stop to animal rights except for kids. Kids are not props or set decoration, and some of you know that; and I thank you for helping to provide a safe and healthy educational environment for the kids in film.

No comments:

Post a Comment