Saturday, June 13, 2009

Camping for Seniors

Probably you are thinking this is about camping in an RV or going to some resort park and camping out. I am sixty-six years old and I've always been a camper when it comes to summer camp; however, I've never stayed in a tent or at any kind of trailer. No, I'm talking about church camps, Girl Scout camps, school camps. I'm still camping. It's a summer camp for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade boys and girls, mostly in the arts and sciences. It's not quite summer school, and it's not quite a sports camp as we do have various subjects that we learn. I mean "we" because every summer I learn something different.

Today is D-Day as camp begins Monday. I still need to go get a few supplies though much is already bought. I tend to start buying staples about March when I see a good price on them. I bought notebooks last summer for this summer when they all went on sale on the cheap. I also have all the gluesticks, crayons, markers, pencils and things we may use making our cookbooks.

That's right, I teach cooking to kids. It's not exactly chemistry at MIT, but the kids love it. Amazingly, such things as turning on the blender or the mixer or cracking an egg is a real hit. Sifting is always a favorite. We even cut with knives, very well supervised I might say and one at a time. Sometimes we get extreme likes and dislikes, for instance the little girl who said she was going to die if we didn't make beignets again this year or the little boy who never ate anything we made. I'm always surprised that they're hungry any time of day, just before lunch, just after lunch, last class, first class. They always want to take something home for their mother or their brother or their grandmother. They want to take samples to their next teacher. The most favorite task is getting to take some crepes or snickerdoodles to the camp director or to another teacher. They love it when the camp teachers stop in for a sample.

We've had a crisis or two over the years from someone having a severe allergic attack to peanuts when he didn't eat them or touch them, but was only exposed to peanuts in the room. We've had a few who have wanted seconds, thirds, fourths so we talk about eating sweets in moderation. We have various ethnic groups so someone from India may want us to make mango lassi or some tell me they can't have meat. Some tell me they are lactose intolerant, but they can have a few cookies or smoothies today. I'm ususally the only one who burns myself, cuts myself or is otherwise "injured."

This year I have made an oath to God, man and country and everyone I meet that I will not be bringing any cookies, pies, cupcakes, pizza, beignets or any other leftovers home. I will distribute all at the end of the day to other campers or the teachers. I tell myself I will put them in the freezer and they will last for months, but any snickerdoodles or shortbread I put in the freezer I have soon eaten up. In that I'm trying so hard to lose weight, extra food at camp will be counterproductive of all the exercise I get.

Did I just mention exercise? By the time I carry all the supplies in everyday, even if I park at the front door, it is quite a bit of walking and carrying. Then I have to go park my car at the nearby parking lot either in front or back of the school. It's then a nice little hike back to my classroom which is downstairs. Then I have to go upstairs to greet the campers, then back downstairs with the campers. We switch classes every hour, and with no prep time between classes except at lunch, I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger helping kids cook and cleaning up the kitchen. We have no dishwasher though we have a huge classroom with many large tables that all have outlets. There are about seven sinks and lots of plugs. On the countertops we have two small refrigerators, a convection oven, a microwave oven plus every appliance known to man that I bring from home are on some of the cabinets. We also have a fire extinguisher and our very own shower in case there is a chemical spill. That's right, we have turned a chemistry lab into our camp kitchen. Who needs a stove when we have two pizelle makers, a quesadilla maker, a waffle iron, an electric skillet, a grease buddy for deep frying, two crepe makers, a toaster oven and lots of children ready to go. I must say, the convection oven is right up there with my favorite appliance, and the microwave is so great for melting butter, chocolate or heating up things quickly.

I have stalled the inevitable long enough. It is time to go get the chocolate and a few other necessities for next week. Then this evening I hope to devote to preparation for the two acting classes. Is this the year to attempt "Curious George Goes to the Hospital" and Beatrix Potter "Peter Rabbit" or do we go for Greek and Roman myths or Aesop fables again. I'm wondering if the small child who was there last year will return. For three days she wouldn't speak, and then she discovered a pig nose someone had made one year for part of their costume and all she wanted to do was wear it. So I let her. Within a short period, you would have never known she spent three days as a mute, too fearful to be in any activities. Acting is tonight; for now it's off to the store. Nothing is simple, however. Do I go to Kroger or Sam's Club or try Costco this year? Camp pays for everything so does it matter really where I go? That's me, I'm going to save money whoever's money it may be. Even my Daddy said, "We'll never get the Scotch out of you." But then really, why not get notebooks on sale for a dime instead of waiting till they are a dollar a piece!!!

1 comment:

  1. Acting lesson plans will have to come tomorrow, not tonight. I hope I wake up in the morning with the artistic spirit.

    ReplyDelete