Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Set tutor

When I decided to become a teacher some many years ago, I had never heard of a set tutor. It never crossed my mind that I would teach anywhere but in an elementary school. However, over the past 23 years that has changed and I have been a set tutor on numerous films. I know what I do, but most of the folks on the set don't know what I do. Some think I teach the child his or her lines. Some I know probably wonder why I hang out on set as one production assistant put it one time. Many a day, I also wonder what I am doing on a movie set.

I am about education, about teaching the child his lessons when he is out of school for a film. The assignments the child brings are just the part of the iceberg you see. I rarely have ever had the teacher's manuals, other teachers to consult in the school, or even answers to any of the assignments. Generally, I have to create my own lesson plans, do my own research on the topic, work out the problems myself to correct the child's work. It helps considerably if I at least know a little more about the topic than the child. It's hard to be up on all the information of all the topics all the time. I too have to study the assignments.

This topic will be continued at a later date as I'm much to tired to talk about being a set tutor after being a set tutor all day with a nine year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment